01 November 2005

International Buy Nothing Day Nov. 25, 2005

Quote for the day:

It is up to us as individuals to do what we can, however little that may be. Just because switching off the light on leaving the room seems inconsequential, it does not mean that we should not do it.”
The 14th Dalai Lama
Spiritual & religious leader
(1935 - )

Here comes the annual international ‘Buy Nothing Day’. Mark the date on the calendar – easy for the U.S.A. as it ties in with their Thanksgiving. The 25th of November is known for being the busiest shopping day of the year, kicking off the Christmas shopping extravaganza.


What better day to kick off a 24 hour anti-consumerism campaign by millions of people around the world. We pause. We make a small choice not to shop. Together we say: enough is enough. And we help build a movement to rethink our future. It was originated by the Adbusters Media Foundation, a group based in Vancouver, British Columbia, that is bent on fighting consumer culture

The Buy Nothing Day campaign in Seattle distributed this checklist to let shoppers evaluate things they were thinking of buying:

  • • Do I need it?
    • How many do I already have?
    • How much will I use it?
    • How long will it last?
    • Could I borrow it from a friend or family member?
    • Can I do without it?
    • Am I able to clean, lubricate and/or maintain it myself?
    • Am I willing to?
    • Will I be able to repair it?
    • Have I researched it to get the best quality for the best price?
    • How will I dispose of it when I'm done using it?
    • Are the resources that went into it renewable or nonrenewable?
    • Is it made or recycled materials, and is it recyclable?
    • Is there anything that I already own that I could substitute for it?

Links:

The Christmas Resistance Movement
Buy Nothing Christmas
Global Exchange
New American Dream

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This site is certified 75% GOOD by the Gematriculator